Hero image showing a calculator and pen

IRS Identity Theft Assistance

IRS Identity Theft Assistance

If you are a victim of tax identity theft, where someone files a forged or fraudulent tax return using your name and social security number, below are some steps you should take to address the situation:

1-Contact  the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) AT 877-438-4338.

2-File a report with the local police department.

3-Contact the IRS Identity Theft Protection Specialized Unit at  800-908-4490 and file Form 14039 Identity Theft Affidavit (or provide a copy of the ploice report).

4-Contact the fraud departments of the three major credit reporting bureaus:

Equifax 800-525-6285

Experian 888-397-3742

TransUnion 800-600-7289

5-Contact the Social SecurIty Administration 800-772-1213

6-Contact your bank, credit card companies, investment firms, and your employers.

Some Things To Consider:

1-Close any account that has been tampered with or open fraudently.

2-Consider putting a credit freeze with the three credit reporting bureaus.

3-Obtain an IRS Identity Theft PIN to file your tax returns. SEE MY DETAILED ARTICLE FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS.

CALL NOW 561-746-1926 or 561-339-8102 if you have any questions or concerns or would like to schedule a FREE, Confidential, No-Obligation Tax-Saving Consultation.